Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Thoughts I had at work today

Okay then. Yesterday, when Ross was in meetings, I pretty much chattered away at him every several minutes as normal even though he couldn't respond. I just opened up a chat window and typed thoughts as they came to me, even though there was no one at the other end of the window.

It was as though I was typing little comments into notepad all day. I didn't care. I just wanted to talk to someone as I was rolling through work, even if that person wouldn't read it right away. As I said to him later, well, I might as well be notepadding these things and blogging them.

Then it struck us both at once - that's exactly what I should do. Anyway, here goes. I don't know if this little experiment will work - will I get any work done? Will it be even remotely interesting to read? Lets find out together, shall we?






I just got an e-mail from a guy that is signed "Because He Lives." I mean, should I sign e-mails with my personal beliefs at the bottom? "Because I think it's pretty unlikely that Jesus had supernatural powers." "Because the earth is millions of years old." "Because I sure like Andi."

Apparently I look like George Michael.

Also, I feel like I'm slightly buzzed right now. That's pretty odd for 9:29 on a Tuesday morning. Seriously, I'm kind of dizzy, but in a wasted sort of way. A few minutes ago I tripped over a cabinet while standing still.

This article is amazing.

Speaking of which, my beard is coming on strong. There is some controversy about how quickly I have to shave it down to mustache size.

I'm still not capturing the terseness with which I communicate with Ross during the day. Less context! Less grammer! These things become my mantra as I force myself onward.

I need a program to type these things into that will timestamp them and (maybe even) auto upload them at day's end. That would be hot. I bet I could program that in C++.

Okay dudes - work. I have my headphones in.

I love Brand New. (I kept typing hew and jew, and then thought my gosh, my typos are anti-semetic. That's like having a racist dog. You never know when it'll embarrass you.)

I am rolling right on down to Bright Eyes after Brand New. I struggle with Bright Eyes. I can't ever tell if I want to listen to them or even like them at all. Maybe I do. Maybe not so much?

I mean, it's a guy playing accoustic guitar, having a funny vulnerable-sounding non-frat-rock voice, singing about how much love hurts. Of course I like it.

Seriously, if this isn't evidence that I have an attention disorder, I don't know what is. But by disorder, I mean "awesome trait." I mean, I'm rolling down my todo list today (while writing hundreds of words and listening to sweet music.) The only problem is that if a person comes up an engages me in conversation, it'll take me a while to get my concentration back up.

I just got marker all over my hands. When there's a whiteboard that you're writing on, it's seductive. It wants you to rub writing out with your hands, but don't do it! There's an eraser, right there! Anyway, when I went to wash my hands, I had a thing in my nose. Ewww! Plus I had just been talking with people for like 20 minutes. Yikes. That's embarrassing.

Okay a thing is done. When I hit milestones in video games it makes me want to keep going. When I hit milestones at work it makes me want to quit. My brain says well, wasn't that a lot of effort? Phew. You need a break.

A guy just walked by saying "You guys'll love it. You're Republicans."

Lunch!?

Another awesome link: One Thousand Beards.

Oh my gosh I have to follow this link later.

I just checked, and it's pretty clear that if you are walking by in the hallway you can see my computer screen clearly, and I don't have a whole lot of options for moving the screen around to prevent sight.

No matter what I do, I can't get myself to work while I'm eating lunch at my desk. I mean lunch at your desk? I feel like that merits some reading about E3 and posting on haduken.

I'm struggling with editing this thing. Should I do it? I don't think so. I think that violates the spirit.

Okay I have a few things to do this afternoon. Lets look at my list, which I have conveniently placed behind me and out of my field of vision.

Okay there's a thing that I've been putting off. Maybe I'll just go ahead and knock that piece out right now. I mean seriously, the end is in sight on this project. Lets just take each piece one at a time.

I've got multicolored hairs in my beard. I used to have much ligher hair overall actually, with reds and ligher browns mixed in. So it'll be interesting to see how this beard works out.

No, it's not gray.

Someone just used the words "opine" and "parcipitative" in two consecutive sentences. Not coincidentally, that someone runs an entire department. That's right, kids! Study that vocabulary and you'll make some money someday!

I had a thought but I lost it while talking about words. Damn. Vocabulary is a total waste of time.

Oh I remember. My mp3 player (half a dozen people are laughing VERY noisily not 10 feet from my cubicle) has a headphone jack that only works well when I jiggle the headphone plug a bit. It's kind of annoying and I don't know how to fix it unless I (a) melt some solder onto the headphone plug to make it bigger or (b) open up the mp3 player.

People are still telling stories and laughing 10 feet from my cubicle. Seriously, you think I distract myself by typing stuff? I can't concentrate with this nonsense going on!

A baby just came practically into my cubicle. It was crying a little bit actually. And you people wonder why I never get work done. They were talking about sleep ("I mean, I get plenty of sleep," I said. No one laughed.) and how much the baby looks like his dad ("He looks just like his dad!" says a guy. I'm sorry, I don't see it. It looks like a baby. All babies look the same.)

Okay back to this ridiculous spreadsheet that I have to fill out. Pssh. We'll see how much of this thing I actually feel like filling in.

46230.90586

I just needed to paste that number somewhere and excel is annoying about pasting the results of one formula into another formula. By annoying, I mean, "it won't do it."

Sometimes

I don't know what I was about to write when I put "Sometimes." I guess I got distracted?

I'm listening to Screaming Infidelities right now and it makes me feel funny in my chest. That's right - I'm sentimental about a Dashboard song. Sloppy beard notwithstanding, if that isn't proof positive that I'm really a girl, I don't know what is.

I just noticed that my project is listed above Sam's project in a list, which may or may not indicate nothing at all. I was going to send him an e-mail and taunt him, but I decided not to. I mean, you know. I have work to do and so does he.

I am about to put a nice strikethrough through the todo list item that I said I was putting off but that I decided to go ahead and tackle. Bam. Take that.

And it turns out that I don't even have to do another item?! Holy balls. But I am adding another list item though, because it was implied. I love having implied todo list items, I need to break that habit.

I just used the phrase "eggregious ommissions" in an e-mail. Yikes.






And we're done! Check back tomorrow to see if I kept this up. It is surprisingly therepeutic, actually. I just type my things in notepad and I get over the urge to actually engage someone in conversation, which, as I said at the top (the far, far away top of this post), breaks concentration. Just downloading these thoughts as I have them seems to kind of drain them away for later processing. Also, if you look through this, you can see that in the early afternoon I was commenting more on work, which gives me an idea of what kind of mindshare I was devoting to it. So I might try it again tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home