Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Chicago comes to Richmond

This evening, my family decided to go out and do something fun. The fun something just happened to be the musical Chicago. After a really tasty dinner at Zuppa, we headed over to the Mosque for the show.

There are a few things that I found out at the Mosque. The first is that lots and lots of teenage girls like to see Chicago. Seriously, I saw one other male under the age of 35 there, and he didn't look pleased, but there were thousands of teenage girls. So if you're 17 and male, you should hang around glitzy musicals for dates. The second is that I see someone I knew in high school literally everywhere. EVERYWHERE. They can't get enough of me.

But mainly I thought I would share my impressions of the show for those interested in taking it in later this week.

I have to confess, this isn't the first time I've seen or even reviewed Chicago. I saw it the last time it was at the Mosque back in high school (for free -- I was ushering) and I saw the film version opening weekend.

But even so, it's tremendous theater. Take all of the elements of a solid Broadway musical: hot girls who know how to dance, plus guys if you're into those; good singing and jokes and choreography; lots of sexual innuendo, which we Americans can't get enough of if only to stick a finger in the eye of the little Puritan that lives inside all of us; and crazy solid musicians. Boil it all down. What's left is the stage version of Chicago. There aren't really any set changes, the orchestra's right there on stage to be looked at, and the costumes and choreography are designed so that if the cast members took of their clothes it would be pretty much redundant. It's a simple idea, but it's a lot of fun.

The highlight of the show was definitely Roxie Hart, played by Michelle Dejean. She's a fox, plus she's very good at her job. Her take on the role was much more fun than the helpless slash angry Renee Zellweger version or the tight, controlled version of Roxie I saw last time Chicago came through Richmond. Everyone else was superb except perhaps for the person who played Velma Kelly, who didn't really enunciate her consanents so you couldn't really understand her singing, but hell, what do I know, she's apparently played that role for years in various productions and in various countries, so I guess we should all blame the sound guy. Seriously, sound guy. Get it right.

At any rate, this production of Chicago is going to be swinging through Charleston, SC, Huntsville, AL, Melbourne, FL, and Greensboro, NC next. So any folks in those cities who read my blog ought to think about getting tickets. Particularly if you are a 17 year old guy - your girlfriend will totally love you if took her. That goes for guys with teenage daughters too - I saw a few of that situation as well. I know that plenty of you read my blog, so, you know, don't hesitate. Get right on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home