The Radio Still Sucks (which is the name of an Ataris song)
So I'm listening to Pandora and I'm thinking: man, some of these songs are really good. I'm listening to this Feeder song right now that would be pretty sweet to listen to in the car on a, you know, radio.
So I think two things:
(1) I really wish I could make a radio station that played a broad selection of good songs. I mean tons of people know about bands like Brand New and the Postal Service and Thrice and Sufjan Stephens even. Just go out and find rock bands that everyone is downloading and play those bands. Like the sweet radio stations on the west coast.
You think it would make no money. But talk radio is so profitable because people leave it on through commercial breaks - with music radio people generally flip around the dial a bit. But if you had a really strong lineup of songs that 24 to 35 year old males with disposable income enjoyed listening to (assuming they didn't already dispose their income on a satelite radio), maybe they'd leave it on. Then your ads are much more valuable. You'd just have to build that brand up.
(2) Who even cares? I only care because my mp3 player transmitter doesn't work all that well, and I'm tired of my CDs.
WAIT! Stop the press! I just had an idea -
What if you could have podcasts automatically burned to CDs? I mean CDR's are cheap, and they're always having "50 CDs for nothing with a $20 mail in rebate" special and stores. You could fill it up with a sweet music podcast to drive around with for a couple of days. And it would be really good fidelity and less trouble than dealing with an mp3 player and radio transmitter all the time. Man, if I could make that happen automatically it would be awesome.
So I think two things:
(1) I really wish I could make a radio station that played a broad selection of good songs. I mean tons of people know about bands like Brand New and the Postal Service and Thrice and Sufjan Stephens even. Just go out and find rock bands that everyone is downloading and play those bands. Like the sweet radio stations on the west coast.
You think it would make no money. But talk radio is so profitable because people leave it on through commercial breaks - with music radio people generally flip around the dial a bit. But if you had a really strong lineup of songs that 24 to 35 year old males with disposable income enjoyed listening to (assuming they didn't already dispose their income on a satelite radio), maybe they'd leave it on. Then your ads are much more valuable. You'd just have to build that brand up.
(2) Who even cares? I only care because my mp3 player transmitter doesn't work all that well, and I'm tired of my CDs.
WAIT! Stop the press! I just had an idea -
What if you could have podcasts automatically burned to CDs? I mean CDR's are cheap, and they're always having "50 CDs for nothing with a $20 mail in rebate" special and stores. You could fill it up with a sweet music podcast to drive around with for a couple of days. And it would be really good fidelity and less trouble than dealing with an mp3 player and radio transmitter all the time. Man, if I could make that happen automatically it would be awesome.

3 Comments:
I've found internet radio plays better music than anything on the airwaves these days. Pandora or Radio Paradise are both good ones. College radio too, but to a lesser extent.
Internet radio is great, but it definitly does me no good in my car.
When you can get the internet in your car, that will be fricking sweet. Forget DVD players, give me the internet.
There's always XM, I guess...
Post a Comment
<< Home